Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WSD & JJ

Tuesday we went to Women's self defense and class started a little late. But coach more than made up for that when he got there. A medium warm up and then going into the skill for the day we did the maneuver to get out of a cross mount. Basically you are on your back and someone is almost perpendicular over your chest, one arm under your neck, their other arm under your arm. You get your knee closest to them into their hip to keep control of where they are since you can't see, then you cross your arm that is "more free" over their face and into their shoulder/collarbone, bring the other arm up to create a brace. Shift your body over so that your knee can go from the hip down under them, rendering you on your side almost. Making sure to keep hold of their arm that is around your neck, take your other leg and flip it up over their head and down around the arm. You can shift to lock up their arm or to position both feet on their hip bones to shove them off so you can get away. It's not easy, but once you get the steps down it's doable. I struggle with the turning and the flipping of the leg. Baby steps. We went to Jiu Jitsu afterwards and I did a little of their warm up. Then we went into the moves. First we practiced getting out of the bear hugs and then the main skill was what we had just learned in WSD. The kid didn't really want to do more of the same thing and she was "tired." We struggled through a few more but left about 5 minutes early. Pretty good for the day. I think I mentioned that last week at JJ, Coach Rob got out the super thick mat for me and I was able to be taken down and do the fall. Well yesterday I did the fall on the regular mat floor. Multiple times!!! It's a painful success. But what a goal to reach. I didn't think I'd be able to so quickly. It's only been a few months of classes. Very excited at the progress I'm making. I can't see it, but I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment