Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Cross Fit

Today was more of a mental challenge than physical- Don't get me wrong, it was hard all around, but the idea of jumping onto something is just beyond my old mind. Today we started with the junkyard warm up. I jumped rope and did some arm stretches. We then moved into the first WOD- one rep max snatch. I got up to 75 but didn't feel like I was doing it correctly. I could do it better at 65. Once I maxed out I put up my bar. I didn't realize we were supposed to keep going. So I shared a bar with another lady there. She was up to 55 lbs and I am able to do that weight really well. Good form and strong lift/duck under. The second WOD was a five minute AMRAP of Burpee Box Jumps. Yeah- go ahead and find yourself a youtube video on that because you're not seeing it here! I had to modify, but I still did what I could. Instead of doing a different exercise altogether, I used a 45 lb weight and jumped onto that, then got down into my best plank then back up and jumped back up on the weight. It took me a lot longer to do, but I'm getting the technique down. I did a solid two jumps correctly. Mind you this was after many failed jumps or jumps where I just got one foot up and one foot was still on the floor- Mind games, man.. It's all mind games at this point. I know I can jump that small distances, but the fear is alive in my head. I would breathe, work my arms, bend my knees, keep my toes in, look straight so my back was aligned, then spring up and forward landing nicely on the weight. It helped me to watch this informative video on youtube- CrossFit Journal - Perfecting the Box Jump by Kelly Starrett and Carl Paoli before going to class today. Yes, it's super long, but it's really step by step instructions on how to do it properly. If you learn the wrong way you're just going to end up hurting yourself in the long run. We were supposed to count how many we did in the 5 minutes, but I couldn't. It was a lot of work getting up and down. I'd estimate somewhere between 15-20, but honestly only 2 of the jumps I made were worth counting. Core today was another bout of supermans. 40 and done. I rolled out my muscles and headed back to work. I'm going to yoga tonite. I hope she doesn't have a super rough class planned! I'm sore, but can use a good stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment