Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Coach Encounters of the Third Kind

So I missed Monday CF and decided to go Tuesday to make up for it. It didn't sound like a horrible class. Basic warm up and then the WOD was four rounds of 1 min double unders, 1 min row, 1 min anchored sit ups and 1 min 10 m shuttle runs, then rest for 1 min. My regular coach was not there, instead it was a coach I have never worked with. She must have missed the hellos because she went over the work out and then basically as she was setting the rower for calories she told me that she wasn't sure how she could scale the work out for me, maybe do three rounds instead of four. I told her I did "Angie" and I got this. The more I thought about it, the more I felt offended. I didn't ask her to help me scale it- she just assumed. She didn't ask my history, or if I was new, or if I had questions or needed help with any particular thing. She just assumed I would be unable to do it. I know how to scale most things for myself- I did single unders and regular ab mat sit ups. I finished it, quite winded, but so was everyone else. The score was a total of everything, counting each calorie burned for the rowing. I got 151. That's really not bad! Sure I had the lowest total, but that's no big deal because I finished it. I did my jumping and my situps and my rowing- hell with the short 10m, I jogged and power walked it. There was no core so that was nice. Biceps were sore today.

Today was WBJJ. My favorite class, I'm not going to lie. I miss self defense, but I really like this class. We seem to have the same group of ladies each time so that makes it nice as well because I can get more comfortable with them in order to eventually do maneuvers with them. We arrived late do to the kid's after school activities, but got in for a little warm up of some hip escapes. Then moved into a defensive move with a handshake. It's a nifty move where you dig your knuckle into the top of the person's hand that your shaking. Hurts like a bitch if you do it right. Then to work onto that we had a move where you bend their hand and grab their elbow, effectively breaking the wrist. A nifty move to keep in your bag of tricks. After that we practiced half mount escapes and it was nice to be able to do the move.  I can feel soreness in my shoulder and my arms still, but it's not horrible, so I know I'm improving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment