Saturday, September 8, 2012

Another Vacation???

Yes, I'm back from another vacation. We went to Seattle, WA and did quite a bit of walking. It wasn't bad at all, that is til we got to Mt Rainier. My friend tricked me into going up a trail that was "short and paved with a slight hill and a few steps." Liar! It was a flight of sketchy stairs with no railing, a steep incline and at 5000+ ft I was dying for some oxygen. It was only .3 miles each way, but it was rough going up and a bit scary coming back in the dark with that steep of slope down. Elevation at the beginning of the trail is 5,433 ft and at the bridge where we ended it was 5, 577 ft. So even tho it's a short distance, we gained 144 ft in height! This was all while carrying the tripod and camera gear. If you want to see it on google maps, the approximate route is 46.7869°N 121.734°W to 46.7915°N 121.7327°W as we started in the parking lot of the lodge. The star at the top of the map is the end point where the bridge was and the bottom of the map was our starting point at the lodge.



Luckily I wasn't too sore the next day as we went out on the lake and I got into the raft to go tubing. What a workout that was- I was holding on for dear life! Finally we get home in the wee hours of Thursday morning and I decided after 5 hours of sleep and 4 hours of work that it's a good idea to still go to Cross Fit. It wasn't a good idea- the WOD was rough! Warm-up:  3 Rounds of: 10 x walking lunges, 10 x Shoulder pass-throughs (pvc pipe), 10 x Lightweight KB Swings (light means 25 lbs!) Then the WOD was a 25 Min AMRAP of: 10 x Weighted box step-ups (16”, 25# DBs) With a DB in each hand step up on to the box. Fully open the hips at the top. Step down. This is one rep.  5 x DB Strict press (25# in each hand), 10 x DB Snatch R arm (25#), 10 x DB Snatch L arm (25#). I was so close to getting up on the 16" box. I've come a long way! I hope in a few more weeks I can at least step up on the box. So instead I used three 45 lb weights- I think it was about 12" give or take. It was a rough work out. I wasn't sure I'd make it, and compared to the fit people, I barely did any reps! I almost got to 6 whole reps, but the last L arm snatch I only made it to 3 before the buzzer hit. So close!  My entire back was sore- is sore actually.

So since I was on vacation and I missed working out for a whole week I figured what a great idea to go on Friday too! Make up for that missed time. Yeah, no. Friday looked good on paper, felt bad in person. Standard warm-up- which has me huffing and sweating then the WOD was a "Tabata Something Else” which is 8 Tabata rounds of each exercise, before moving onto the next, of: Pull-ups, Push-ups, Anchored Sit-ups, Squats. Basically Tabata is where you work for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. It's not as awesome as it sounds. 20 seconds feels like forever and 10 seconds feels like nothing. Amazing how the time changes depending on what you're doing. But I made it and I was able to walk after resting and stretching for a few minutes. That's always a plus when you can make it out of the place alive! The score for the WOD is total # of reps. I had to scale so I did ring rows- 61,  knee push-ups- 44, capital sit-ups- 43, and squats- 85, for a total score of 233. Not too shabby for someone who could barely breathe! So I'm back in the saddle. Less than two months til my first 5k and I'm really not prepared. I have good intentions, but then lack the drive once I'm at home. This will change because I don't want to not finish the race- I may be last, but I'm going to cross that finish line. 



No comments:

Post a Comment