Thursday, January 10, 2013

Women's only BJJ

Last night was my first Women's only Brazilian Jiujitsu class. I've taken regular classes on and off, but this was by far the funnest and non-stressful class. It's nerve-wrecking to walk into a class with a bunch of guys- fit guys for the most part. And here I am overweight, out of breath, and clueless on most of the moves. I really have to talk myself into going. And that's actually true for most of these classes. The feeling of intimidation mixed with nerves becomes a struggle. But the ladies last night were very friendly and of course it was nice to have familiar faces there. Even tho it's embarrassing to be the first one dying from the warm up :)  We did some running and shrimping and push ups (about killed me) and sit ups (still not recovered from the 50 we did in CF Monday and that did do me in!) for warm up. Then we moved into learning a side mount type position. Start off with person A on the ground and person B gets on top perpendicular and uses their hands to control the arm and hip area. Then you shift your knees so that you can slide the knee closest to A's hip up on top of their hip area (make sure to get a good base with other leg) and switch your arms to grasp the collar and their knee closest to your knee on their hip. This should keep them from going anywhere. Then a choke was added to this move. It was the over/under hand grab on the collar. After we practiced this we did a "fun" run. Tried to do 16 lengths of the room (long side) in a minute. I think I got to 8. After 4 I was struggling, but figured it was only a minute and tried to push. Left me out of breath and with side pains. Def need to get up on my cardio. Well get back up on everything. I saw the improvement. I could feel it. And it's like it slipped away. But I'm getting it back. I'm still in better condition than I was this time last year. I've got two 5Ks to prepare for- and this year's Zombie 5K is said to be harder than last years!!! So I've got a time frame and my current goal is to cut my time in half from last year's run to this years. Should be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment